POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Merge Bug ? : Re: Merge Bug ? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 01:23:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Merge Bug ?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 6 Dec 1998 19:52:29
Message: <366b26cd.0@news.povray.org>
In article <366b1ef6.0@news.povray.org> , ver### [at] aolcom (=Bob) wrote:

>I don't know what's going on there but I tried putting a global_settings
>{max_trace_level 20}, out of habit, into the script and got a same-surface
>looking effect at the center of the cross. No other obvious changes. Then
>--another strange thing-- I tried 2 instead of 20 and no change *back* to the
>first look (difference?), even tried to comment it out; no return to previous
>state. So I shut POV off, restarted it, ran the scene again (global_settings
>still commented out) and it then returned to the first example: center
>removed.

Yes, this is a know problem of POV-Ray, max_trace_level is stored in a global
variable, and it is no (always?) updated/installized except at startup. This bug only
exists for the GUI versions of POV-Ray (Win and Mac) as they are not terminated  and
restarted for each render.

     Thorsten

For all who want to know, the value of max_trace_level is stored in the global
Max_Trace_Level in render.c.